|Catering - Formal Food, Buffet Nibbles and more|
The catering at a wedding can make or break both your day and how the guests perceive your wedding. We have all attended weddings where the food has been spectacular, but who doesn’t remember the occasion where it is bland and uninspiring, or late to be served – get it right and your guests will thank you for making an effort! If you use the right caterer, then you won’t need to worry at all on the day and can simply sit down and enjoy your meal with your guests. The food you serve may be a formal meal with silver service, a running buffet, or something in between; but whatever you choose, will be a pivotal part of your day and needs careful consideration as well as early booking.
It may be that your venue provides the food as part of your contract, or that you have hired a marquee or smaller venue and need a caterer – either way, the questions you need to ask remain the same:
• Do you specialize in any particular style of food – if so, what?
• Do they provide any special touches such as chocolate fountains, ice sculptures or champagne fountains, or will you need to source those suppliers separately?
• What will the cost be per person, including canapés and any special courses? What is the comparison between seated dining and a buffet meal? Does the cost include VAT?
• Are we able to specify any items on the menu for example sentimental favourites? Will you do alternatives for special dietary requirements or children’s meals?
• Do you offer a tasting session to help us to decide on a menu?
• Do you provide a toastmaster or do we need to find one ourselves?
• If your venue is catering, what is the wine service? Do you need to use a specific wine list, or can you choose? Can you bring your own wines, and if so, what is the corkage (the cost of opening each bottle they serve) cost?
• Would we be the only wedding that day?
• Will you provide a cake stand?
• Are there extra charges for linens, glasses and crockery, waiting staff or any decorative items for the tables? What choices of the above are available?
• Does the charge include a service charge for any waiting staff provided?
• Does the cost include any part of the clean up or set up operation, and what are the charges for services if the evening should over run?
• Who will be the person responsible for handling the wedding on the day, and can we meet them in advance?
Take the same questions along to each venue or caterer you see, so that you can make a proper comparison before you decide, and remember that if you don’t see or taste the food before you agree the quote, you won’t really know what you and guests will be getting, so make sure you are as well informed as you can be before making your choice.
Desktop version | Mobile version